Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Jen Lilley

For those who don't know me, I have been a soap opera viewer for 30 years.  I know the characters on my shows inside and out, and I detest recasts because most times, they don't seem to fit the role.  I'd rather see the character killed off than have them recast.  However, there are those rare gems that make recasting tolerable. One such actress is Jen Lilley, who took over the role of Maxie Jones on "General Hospital. It was originally supposed to be temporary, but turned into a more permanent gig.  

Let me first say, I have never been a Maxie fan.  The last time I loved her, she was 6 and had a heart transplant.  After that, she turned into a hateful and very annoying character.  Enter Jen Lilley.  I was skeptical at first.  However, this woman has done the impossible.  She has made me a Maxie fan.  She is that good!

Jen Lilley clearly understands every aspect of her role.  She does the troubled Maxie who always screws up and who people love to hate (or just hate, period) very well.   But she also brings a new side to Maxie that makes you care about the character.  Now, THAT is talent.  Trust me when I say I am not easily won over.  I have seen many characters that I, as a viewer, am supposed to love, but end up going "I hate you (insert the rest of the rant here)!!!" If you had told me before Jen Lilley took over the role that I would actually like Maxie, I would've told you that you were nuts and pointed you in the direction of the nearest psychiatrist.  But Jen makes Maxie actually likeable.  This is what makes Jen Lilley unique. Since she was originally a temporary recast, I made sure to enjoy every single second of her scenes and tried not to think about the day I'd have to sit through her last scenes.  I prayed that GH would find a way to keep her, but I wasn't holding my breath because I'm never that lucky.  But someone must love me because the day finally came when it was announced that her once temporary role was now permanent.  I couldn't have been more thrilled!  I now live for the Maxie scenes on GH.

In addition to her incredible talent, she is beautiful, both inside and out.  She truly loves and cares about her fans, and it shows.  With her talent, beauty, big heart and sparkling personality, Jen Lilley is sure to become a superstar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment