Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day--Leon, please phone home!

I admit it. I've never been good during a crisis. Plus I've never been big on holidays. Growing up, Memorial Day was just another day to me. But since 9-11, things have been different. I can still remember the first time I was alone after that day. I was positive it hadn't effected me. Then I heard a plane go over my house. I didn't think, I just reacted, which isn't normal. My first thought was to do what they tell you to do during an earthquake...go to a doorway. That's exactly what I did. Like that was going to help. That's when I knew that I was positively scared out of my mind. That's also the moment I knew my life was changed forever, and not in a good way. Innocence and bliss were gone, replaced by doubt and fear of what was to come. Would I even live to see my next birthday? Since that day, I have a new found respect for the men and women in the military.

I just watched the PBS Memorial Day Concert, and was brought to tears more than once. It made me think of my Great Uncle Leon. He was a casualty of war, but not in the literal sense. He survived, but from what I understand, he was emotionaly damaged. The story I heard my entire life was that he came to his father's funeral with beer. He was asked to get rid of it or leave. He chose to leave, never to be seen or heard from again. That was in 1956. A few years ago, however, I heard something that made me question the story I had grown up with. Ever since then, I've been trying to find him and find out the truth. So I'm asking now...If anyone knows Leon Dainowski (Dajnowski) from Upper St. Clair NJ, or if Leon is reading this, please contact me. Leon, if you are reading this, I'd love to get to know you. You are an important part of my life and are loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment